Yesterday was all around just one of those days. Actually, I should back up and start with Tuesday night when I burnt my upper arm taking brownies out of the oven. How I managed to burn myself the way I did I have no idea. But it's about a 3 inch by 2 inch burn, complete with blisters....owww! Will was walking right up to the oven complaining he couldn't sleep and I was telling him to back away. Then yesterday my children were kind of naughty. Alright not kind of, they were naughty. Will broke a bowl, he says it was Lucy's fault. No big deal it was just a bowl. After finally convincing them to go outside and play, they were being so lazy, Sam decided to swing. He then decided to kick his shoe, Georgia boot, right at me. Yep, he got me right in the lip. That's right add fat lip to the burned arm. I know he didn't mean to hit me, and he felt really bad, but he was trying to kick it in my direction. Moving along, after giving the girls a bath and the water is draining from the tub Mitch is hollering up the stairs that water is leaking through the ceiling onto the hardwood floor. So, while dealing with that, you're not going to believe this, Sydney breaks another bowl...the final straw! I must admit I didn't handle it with as much grace as I should have and Mitch also got mad at her because he had told her she couldn't get herself a snack. After all it's just a bowl (we won't mention it was Mitch's grandma's bowl), a material thing. I'm thinking what next? And now to the point of me sharing the events of this trying day. After cleaning up I notice Sydney sitting in the chair by the pantry lip quivering, fighting back the tears. I give her a smile and she tries really hard to smile back. I ask her if her feelings are hurt and she says "yes, but my hurt feelings aren't going to cry". Looking at me with her big blue eyes she then asks if "sweaty means you're hot and wet"? Yes. She says, "well I have sweaty eyes, they're a little bit wet inside and kind of hot". Well then my eyes start to "sweat". I know exactly how she feels and she did such an amazing job at expressing herself. I remember that feeling and I always hated that feeling of being in trouble and having your feelings hurt. My heart was breaking and I was feeling guilty. Sometimes it's so hard to define the line between good discipline and wounding their little spirits. I don't think I did such a great job, I think I was a little too hard on this sweet four year old. Don't get me wrong she was naughty. I think we all learned some life lessons yesterday.
So how is today going you might ask? Well things are looking up. The day started early with a nice run with Anya, the blisters on the burn are pretty much gone, the swelling in my lip has gone down (now it just looks and feels like I got a little extra boost of collagen, hey some women spend a fortune for this look), and we have not had any "sweaty" eyes today. As for the leak in the ceiling I haven't let myself think about that yet. For now I just won't use that bathtub. Tearing apart the ceiling was not exactly part of the plan for this summer. Overall it's all minor, it just all happened in a 24 hour period. But as my mom always says; "It will all work out!". God is in control.
Sorry, no pictures of the fat lip or burn...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment