We woke up to our first snow of the season this morning! A light dusting, but snow never the less. Everyone was so excited. Lucy was ready to sled. Sorry Lulu you'll have to wait for a little bit more than this. Then came everyone trying to find the gloves and hats they wanted. Sam deciding to change his pants at the exact same time the bus was supposed to be here. It was a rush, lots of commotion, but somehow everyone made the bus.In other happenings I'm contemplating changing the name of the blog to Football Teams and Mouse Dreams. Wednesday morning Sam said he heard a squeaking in the kitchen. I left the room and came back in to see Sam on the counter and Will and Sydney on the table. Sam tells me he's pretty sure that the squeaking is a mouse and it seems to be coming from around the dishwasher. I wouldn't open the drawer to check behind it, but Will the brave offered. He opened the drawer and thought he saw something and closed it real quick. Mitch was still home so he came down to look around. Will's eyes must have been playing tricks on him because there was nothing there. We couldn't figure out where the squeaks were coming from. So Mitch and the kids all left for work and school, leaving Lucy and I with the squeaking. The squeaking was getting louder. Mitch called when he got to work and asked if we could still hear it. We sure could and I told him I had gotten the flashlight and could see something moving around between the dishwasher and the cabinet. Sure, leave me at home not knowing when it will decide to make an appearance. Lucy and I went up to get cleaned up, when we came back down the squeaking was the loudest yet. Sitting right next to the dishwasher was the teeniest, tiniest little baby mouse I have ever seen. It could hardly walk it was so new. Well crap, what to do next. I'm also thinking to myself there must be more. So, I get on my garden gloves, grab the Sports Illustrated Mitch had just dumped in the recycle bin and a box. Gently I used the magazine to scoot the mouse into the box and bring it outside. Now what? At this point I'm starting to feel like I'm in the middle of the movie "An American Tale". Mice move to America because there are "no cats in America". Only to discover that there are indeed big bad cats in America. Young mouse is separated from his family and sets out to search for them. Except I'm the big cat. Not having the heart to terminate this baby mouse I throw it into the raspberry field in the pouring down rain. Leaving it to fend for itself, most likely to be scooped up by a bird, or succumb to the elements. Somewhat proud of myself I call Mitch at work. "What's going on now?" he asks as he picks up the phone. "I caught it!"I proclaim. No more squeaking!! Moving ahead Wednesday night I worked, came home and Mitch said he heard some squeaks. We decide to pull out the dishwasher quick a minute...yeah right...mind you it's 10:30. The screws were stripped and the hoses needed to be disconnected to pull it out far enough. Expecting the worst, we find nothing...NOTHING. No evidence of meeces at all! Actually it was pretty clean under there if I do say so myself. In the meantime we are still hearing squeaks. You know like babies in search of their mother. Mommy dearest probably succumbed to the poison and disappeared. There was a hole in the wall for an outlet that was not used. We sealed it up really good. Finally, at 12:30 with the kitchen torn apart we went to bed. Next stop, my knight in shining armor, Mitch will be making a trip under the house to investigate and seal. I don't think Biobugs my best friend anymore...we're having to work awfully hard here...and they're the ones getting paid. No more squeaks...I think the hole in the wall was the issue...need anyone to come investigate for possible mice activity? We are getting to be quite the mouse detectives! Sam, my softy was so concerned about what I did with the baby mouse when he came home and I told him I caught it. And that is life in the country at its best folks! Hopefully, we're done with that for a long long while.
On that note everyone here is on the edge of their seats hoping for more snow tonight...let it snow...let it snow...let it SNOW!! And the adventures continue...

Okay I have been following all this mouse business... I think its time you get over the "no pet" thing, and get a cat! We picked up a free female kitten from Gannon's field trip... So I am sure she will be pregnant by spring! I will gladly give you a free kitten or two! FYI... we live on 5 acres in an older house and I HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD A MOUSE! Our cats are doing their job!
ReplyDeleteI would have freaked! Good job getting the mouse out of the house. You are definitely a country girl!
ReplyDelete