Monday, November 15, 2010

Amaryllis War

It all started when Mitch and I were living in Nashville. I had an amaryllis growing and so did my mom in Washington. I don't know what it was but I had one that just was growing like crazy, must have liked the weather or something. Mom took this as a challenge. So we started measuring. We would call each other and report on the height. Hers soon caught up if I remember right. I accused her of fertilizing. She still denies those accusations. I'm not so sure. Since then every year we've had our contest. I think I took last year off though, I was so disgusted from the year before. Mine just wouldn't grow. Nothing I did helped. Mom's of course was growing great. She took mine home, it grew, although very slowly. I think she brought it back to me in February finally with flowers. Guess who showed up at the door yesterday with an amaryllis kit. She's back for more. She called me when I was cleaning up dinner, asked if I had planted yet. She did. Well, hers got a 2 hour head start. She says this morning it's starting to grow already. She must be fertilizing already. I'm doomed! I think she brought me another dud! It's not over yet mom...I'm breaking out the fertilizer...bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment