Monday, November 8, 2010

Celebrating Sam


We celebrated Sam's birthday all weekend long. Thursday morning, the big day, we started out with Cinnamon rolls and gifts. Sam's getting older...you can tell by what he really really wanted for his birthday. On the top of his list was a new Titan's sweatshirt, under armour, and black socks. You read it right, socks were on the list, but they had to be black and crew length. He was so excited to open his under armour shirt, added bonus it's reversible, cold gear and heat gear, black or grey. Sophisticated.

He quick changed into his new clothes before leaving for school.

After school he had all the boys in his class over for a birthday party, plus a few more. We've never done such a thing before.

I had know idea 10 year old boys were so incredibly LOUD! And if you ever want to see human nature at work have twelve 10 year old boys go after a pinata. We are talking mob mentality. I think next time I'll opt for the pre-party put together party favor bag. I think in the end everyone ended up with close to the same amount...I think.

Thankfully the weather was good and they spent most of the time outside playing capture the flag, ghosts in the graveyard and a few other oldies. We sent them home good and sweaty and tired and with only a few minor injuries. Boys are so physical, tactile, always tackling...they're crazy!

All kidding aside chaos and all it went well and I am impressed with Sam's friends. A very nice, polite, enjoyable group of boys! It was fun to see their different personalities and get to know some of them a little better. Mitch was at football practice for most of the party so Noah and Anya and Grandma were here to help. I couldn't have done it without them...THANK YOU!! The next morning Will asked if he could have a birthday party like that. My response, "When you are 10, and only when you are 10"!

Saturday night Mitch and I took Sam out for dinner to the restaurant of his choice. We told the kids that starting at age 10 every year we will take the birthday boy or girl out for dinner with just mom and dad. With four kids its not very often you get time alone with mom and dad both together. Sam chose:

I was told by both of the guys that I would embarrass them if I took my camera in so this is the only picture I got. We had such a good time spending the evening with Sam. It was so much fun! He was happy with his choice and we all were stuffed. We even ended up finding him his black socks at T.J. Maxx before dinner...score!
Finally, Sunday we celebrated with family and ice cream cake. Are you birthday'd out yet Sam?

Go ahead blow out the candles.

Oh Sam, it looks like you have 5 girlfriends!

Okay, maybe just 2!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I love that he wanted sox and under armor! I also love the tradition you started... well 2 of them... ONLY a party with a bunch of boys when you turn 10 and taking the kids out to eat by themselves. Great ideas! and Happy Birthday Sam! Maybe you will get lucky and white sox will be on the christmas list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brave mom you are! Dylan has a blast at the party.

    ReplyDelete