Monday, August 23, 2010

Avenue of the Giants

Since I never finished our road trip now as as good of time as any. It was the Avenue of the Giants that was next on the agenda. We did a couple more small hikes.

This was Rockefeller Grove home to 17 of the worlds largest trees.

We drove through The Shrine drive thru tree. It was a tight fit but we made it.

The kids loved these tree houses-they even had an upstairs. It was like the Berenstain Bears house...too cute.

We also ended up stopping in the old Victorian town of Ferndale on this afternoon.

It's like you're stepping back in time...
...just imagine horses instead of cars.

An old old cemetery on the hill in Ferndale. Kind of eery, kind of cool, definitely old. The view was amazing from the top of the hill.

And then we drove through Eureka which also had some fascinating buildings and houses.

It was about this part of the trip that we began to feel at times we were part of National Lampoon's Vacation. We were doing a lot of driving. Of course there were the funny moments. The moments where everyone was bugging each other and getting yelled at. Every time we got back in the car Lucy would say "where are we going next?" Never failed. Every single time. And we got in and out of the car a lot! Then there is Sydney who has to go the bathroom all the time! Not joking I have seen more restrooms than I ever cared to. We would walk in one and she would say, "oh it's a oner" meaning one stall. Or, "it's a twoer". You get the idea. We kind of started rating them in our own code. After one stop we both got in the car and said "that one was pretty nice". It was at this point Mitch jokingly suggested I could start a toilet blog. Everyone sure thought that was a hoot. It would probably get more comments. Then we decided there's probably already one out there. At one point while driving Sydney said she had to go to the bathroom. We responded that she had just went. So we kept driving, and driving, forgetting she had to go. Many miles down the road we hear from the back seat, "I still have to take a leak you know". Jaws dropping we try not to laugh...but where did that come from? Keep in mind we spent the first part of our vacation with Papa. Sorry Papa, I'm pretty sure she picked this one up from you. Oh and we ate at the dirtiest McDonald's ever this night. I refused to let anyone use those bathrooms. Ok enough potty talk. But it was all good since at the end of the day we got to go swimming. Oh the kids couldn't wait to get in the pool! It's all about the pool! It's all adventures and memories right?

1 comment:

  1. Actually there is a restroom app for iphones. It gives you the nearest one and I think a rating. I don't have an iphone but my sis does. And you definitely need one for traveling with Sydney.

    What a fun trip! You and Mitch are brave to have such a road trip with four little ones.

    ReplyDelete