Monday, March 15, 2010

Flowering Quince

We saw this flowering shrub at the zoo. Mitch and I both thought it was really cool. The salmon color was so striking. We didn't know what it was so I took a picture hoping I would be able to figure it out. Driving around I started noticing it in several places. Usually around older homes and buildings. My mom was with me and I asked her if she knew what it was. She didn't remember the name, only that we had it in our yard on the Wiser Lake Road, many moons ago. Well my mom just happened to come across it at True Value the other day and picked a couple up. One for me and one for herself. I'm so excited! Thank you, thank you Mom! Now I just need to find the perfect place for it. Oh and the common name is Flowering Quince. Here is a little info I found about the plant: "Looks can be deceiving with the flowering quince (Chaenomeles speciosa). Most of the year this shrub is a mass of tangled, thorny branches with mundane foliage. But, in spring the beast becomes a beauty with showy single or double blossoms. In October we are rewarded with apple-like fruit that makes a great marmalade or jelly. Add this fairy tale shrub to your garden." How enchanting!

No comments:

Post a Comment