This is the only picture I have so far. Looks good all covered up! Her face is a little swollen on that side too. I'll try to add another picture when we change the bandage. Too bad there isn't a before picture it was quite a site, gaping I tell you. She's a trooper!
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Lucy's Trip to the ER
Let's just say last night did not go the way I planned. Mitch left for football camp with the boys. I planned to clean up dinner, give the girls a bath, get them to bed on time and get a few things cleaned up around the house. The girls were playing so nice so I decided to finish cleaning up dinner. I did not even make it to the kitchen when I heard a thud, followed by crying. Sydney yells, "mom, Lucy fell all by herself"! Hmmm...I wonder why she felt the need to add "all by herself"? I took one look at Lucy and immediately knew she needed stitches. Apparently she decided to scale the castle wall (playmobile castle that is) and the wall won (with or without Sydney's help, not sure). Anyway, I stayed pretty calm until I couldn't get through to the Dr.'s office, the phone kept cutting out. I have always said if the kids need sutures I just hope it's during office hours and they don't need to go to the ER (I've seen first hand some of the ER suture work). I called my mom and had her keep trying to call the Dr. (which we finally got through) and my mother-in-law Cynthia and brother-in-law Toby came over. Toby took Sydney and Grandma and I were on our way with Lucy. Oh and my sister-in-law Anya rode bike to the football field to tell Mitch what was going on. So yeah we will just go to the office right? Wrong. They get her all prepped and just about ready to start and the Dr. (one of my very favorite Dr.'s to work with I must add) says "you know this is deeper than I thought and I would really feel most comfortable having a plastic surgeon stitch this up". Yep he said plastic surgeon! Not good! So he calls the hospital, no plastic surgeon on call. Let's see what else we can do. So he tries the ENT on call, gets him coming out of surgery and on his way out, but he agrees to stay and see Lucy, so head to the ER and he will meet us there. This ENT Doc apparently does a lot of facial work, eyelids etc. Sounds like the perfect guy for the job. Well we still had to go through the initial ER rigmarole but finally were brought back where the Dr. was waiting for us! Thank you! Thank you to this kind man for agreeing to stick around. He said there is a hole in the middle of the laceration that goes all the way to the bone! So there was some concern about the nerve that runs right there, he should have just left that part out. Now I keep looking to see if her smile looks even. The worry wart that I am. How she managed this injury one will never know. She is the first of our children to need stitches, go figure! What a night! A big thank you to all who came to my and Lucy's rescue last night! I don't know what I would do without you all!
This is the only picture I have so far. Looks good all covered up! Her face is a little swollen on that side too. I'll try to add another picture when we change the bandage. Too bad there isn't a before picture it was quite a site, gaping I tell you. She's a trooper!
This is the only picture I have so far. Looks good all covered up! Her face is a little swollen on that side too. I'll try to add another picture when we change the bandage. Too bad there isn't a before picture it was quite a site, gaping I tell you. She's a trooper!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh my girl!! Kudos to you for keeping your cool!! Not to mention the patience required! I think that God must have covered you with an extra bit of that Grace he so freely gives!! What an amazing God we serve!! Prayers to you all!!
ReplyDelete