Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Everson Auction and the Birds and the Bees

Nana decided yesterday she was going to take the 3 grandsons to the Everson Auction. So Sam, Will, and Eli set off at lunchtime with Nana. The plan: experience a famous auction burger and take in the auction. Nana may have gotten a little more than she bargained for with this trip. First, can you imagine the scene, not too many Nana's with their grandsons at the auction. It's safe to say they stood out like sore thumbs amongst all the farmers. It's probably not every week a Nana shows up with the grandkids to take in the Auction. Second, these boys haven't spent too much time around a farm. They were pretty amazed at all the cows and the amount of poo! "They even slip and slide all around in it!" "It's a whole other world!" Eli always so full of questions and not afraid to ask them had a ton of questions for the farmers. Will was taken by a baby calf and is still talking about it. Sorry buddy no room for cattle here. Oh and there was the horse that EVEN came with a saddle. "That was a pretty good deal for someone." And how does that "Auctionist" talk so fast anyway? At one point I guess Sam was leaning back behind Nana and he was wiggling around and bumping into her. Nana asks him what he is doing. Sam replies, "I've got an itch and I don't want them to think I'm raising my hand. I might accidentally buy a cow!" But the kicker came when Sam's questions started to fly. Since the girl cows udders have milk in them what does the bull's sack have in it? And what is it for? Is it the same for people? You can see the direction this is heading. The pressure is on Nana! I don't think she figured this equation into her afternoon at the Everson Auction. Well from what I hear Nana did a fine job touching on these questions. When they got home Nana says she is bringing Sam home with more questions than answers. Sam hears her tell me this and walks really far around me with his head down looking up at me with only his eyes and says, "no really mom I don't want to know anymore". What a trip this afternoon must have been for Nana and these boys? One I am sure these boys won't forget. Oh and in the car Sam ended up telling Nana there is a girl he kind of likes and he even told her who she is. This makes two Grandmas he's told this news to. Not a word to me! How do you Grandmas rate anyway?!
Well I of course have only heard about the day, I wasn't a first hand witness. We laughed so hard just thinking about it all. To have been a fly on the wall at the Everson Auction yesterday. Or more accurately a fly on the cow pie!!

(Sorry no pictures from the auction...Sam, Will and Eli at the Lynden City Park a couple weeks ago.)

1 comment:

  1. Love the Everson Auction barn. Max and my Dad have gone there for lunch for years. My Grandpa brought me pets from the auction including a goat and bunnies...And eventually he found a horse named Mouse. I was lucky!

    ReplyDelete