Thursday, September 10, 2009

Grandma F.'s Whitener

Whitener

In plastic utensil, put
1/4 C. bleach
1 C. dishwasher det.
1 gallon hot water

Mix well. Soak for 1/2 hr. Do not stir. Wash as usual in machine.
If using material w/ nylon, cool water 1st.

Sydney had brand new PJs, worn once. She got a bloody nose= blood all over pajama shirt. I used hydrogen peroxide to get the blood out. They looked clean so I left wet sitting in the sink. Big mistake! A few hours later I went to start the wash and the shirt was covered in big brown spots. I used spray in wash, no dice, still brown. Tried washing a second time with spray and wash, and still brown. I was mad. They were brand new, ruined after 1 night. What a waste! Then I remembered Mitch's Grandma's recipe for whitener that his mom gave me many years ago. I've used it a few times over the years and it definitely works. But this time I am sold for sure. The shirt is WHITE again!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah! I found your blog from Tami's, and enjoy checking in on you and your cute, cute kids now and then...Just wanted to thank you for the recipe...I'd been given one like this long ago, but haven't been able to find it again...I have a pile of white stuff that I now can't wait to get in a plastic bucket! :D
    Leslie Honcoop (I used to be a secretary @lc)

    ReplyDelete