Friday, February 4, 2011

Book Character Parade

Last week was B.E.A.R. week at school. Be Excited About Reading. That meant no T.V., computer, Wii, or electronics of any kind for the whole week. We played ALOT of dominoes. It was interesting, the boys actually read less than they do on any other given week. I think it was the hardest on Lucy who is used to getting up and watching a cartoon and drinking some juice. My fault, but it's how I can get everyone else ready for school before having to get her going. Friday morning she got up right after the bus left, plopped on the couch and said "B.E.A.R. week is OVER!"
On the last day the kids dress up as their favorite book character for the character parade at school. I told Mitch after the kids left I probably should have encouraged them to dress up as something other than a football player. I think that has pretty much been what they have chosen every year. They did both read books about football. Although Sam brought a book about football stats to the parade. Not exactly the kind of book the teachers probably had in mind, but he informed me "he is a fourth grader and doesn't need to dress up as some baby book character".
Sydney wore her ladybug costume and took her Ladybug Girl book. Easy and cute. That morning she told me she really wanted to be an American Girl. I told her next year, too late to change now. She had the ladybug dress on over black tights and a almost too small long sleeve black shirt. Imagine my surprise when I showed up at school that afternoon to see Sydney coming down the hall in only her tights, too small black shirt, and boots. "Sydney, where in the world is your dress?" Nana just laughed, she understood completely...it's something she would pull too! Sometimes I just don't know what to do with those two.

No comments:

Post a Comment