Thursday, January 14, 2010

Snowman and Faith Like a Child

Sydney was so excited she had homework. She was sent home from preschool with a snowman and a blue piece of paper. The instructions were to make a snow scene together with mom or dad. She took this very seriously, had all kinds of ideas and was very particular in what she wanted. I was the cutter. She was the gluer, stickerer and design artist. We did the glitter glue together. Usually Sydney just does things really fast not paying too much attention to detail. She had the idea for marshmallows for snow. We had a lot of fun working on this project while Lucy napped. We were quite pleased with our finished product. This week especially I have been trying to take the time to enjoy these little things and precious moments. In all too real of ways we have been reminded how fast life changes.
So with a heavy heart this week for the families who have suffered tragedy and loss in our area I find myself easy to tears and prayerful. The other day when I saw my mom and was going to tell her something she said "I hope this is something good". Well, it wasn't. The old adage when it rains it pours seems to hold true. I have been reminded many times this week also of Romans 5: 1-5 and feel led to write it here too.

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

So by the grace of God we have hope. And by the grace of God alone we are able to persevere. We have been faced with many hard questions in our house this last week. Children are very perceptive. But I am convinced we all need to have faith like children. Their faith is unshakable. So I will continue to pray for the brokenhearted. I will remember to count my blessings. And I will cherish every moment, every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment